Sunday, June 27, 2010

Soap Box Opera

I don't know why I put "Opera" in the title. It just seemed to sound right. It has nothing to do with this post though. I'm not about to sing to you what I'm going to say here.

I am however going to stand on my little soap box and say something. My friend told me something about someone who I don't particularly like. I'm not going to say who or what, because that isn't my point. My point is she told me something that I had to make a decision about. I don't mean I'm going to decide what her friend should do, because that would be incredibly awkward. ("Hi, I'm Morgan. I doubt you really like me all that much, but I'm going to tell you how to run your life. Does that sound good to you?") I had to decide how to treat that information. I could have been an outright hypocrite: "EW! WHAT KIND OF PERSON DOES SHE THINK SHE IS?! DOESN'T SHE KNOW THAT MURDER IS A TERRIBLE THING?!" after I have murdered someone. Or I could have been more diplomatic about it: "Well...huh... It seems to me that she has herself a problem. I wish she wouldn't do that, but it is her life." Needless to say, I picked neither of those. I couldn't be a hypocrite and pull a double standard, nor could I just let it pass. I went for a middle ground: "EW! What in the world? Why?" I can say ew, even though I murdered someone too...because it's still sick, no matter how many people you kill, it doesn't get less sick. Actually it gets more sick... manslaughter is a terrible terrible thing. I could ask why she wanted to murder someone, because even though I did it, my reasons could be way different than hers.

All in all, I am very proud of myself for not stooping to the levels of Mrs. South of the Fourth Street by criticizing. I'm happy with the way I handled it, and how I'll keep handling it.I'll run into this friend someday and I'm not going to look down on her (mainly because she is taller than me), instead I'm going to keep treating her the same as I always have. Her decision to murder people does not affect me. Unless of course she murders me or someone close to me...then I might have to take some action... and get a bigger soap box. 

No comments:

Post a Comment