Friday, January 28, 2011

netWORKing

I knew it was going to take a lot of work, but I didn't know it was going to be fun work.

Bob and Dennis (two of the professors here) always talk about networking. Talk to people. Tell them your name. Leave an impression. Work you butt off. Don't forget who got you to where you are. (One day, when I look back on my college life, I'm going to only remember having those things drilled into my skull.)

(When I think networking, I actually think about Doyle Mortimer. He seems to know everyone everywhere. He knows the most random people! That man can network. That's how I want to be. I want to just walk into any store and run into twenty people I know. I want people to see me and remember me, and talk to me. Just a random interjection.)

Anyway, Back on track. Networking is what it's all about right now for me. I'm taking classes, I'm studying as much as I can. I'm looking for ways to apply what I learn. Now it's time to tell the world I exist. That's the first step. "Hi, I noticed you made a feature film that made millions of dollars. I just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Morgan. If you ever need a PA, I'll be more than willing to do it."

Film making is a tough business to get into. Everyone is in their position. Everyone is fighting for that position on the next big set. Rarely ever does one just become a producer. It takes years of work, you must pay your dues. You start out at the bottom. You gain the trust and respect of those around you. Then you can move up. Rarely does one become a PA without years of work. You have to introduce yourself. You have to prove yourself, and then, you become their slave.

So that's my next big goal. Tell people that I'm here. I'm ready (mostly). I'm worth giving a chance. I took the first step Wednesday. I began my netWORK. I went to the opening meet-n-greet at the LDS FF. The filmmakers were there to be met and talked to. So I dove (dived?) in.

I didn't really know what to do when starting a network, so I trailed my friend Austin for one introduction. He just went up, said something like "I noticed your filmmaker tag..." and then jumped in with the questions. Of course, I don't think his questions were all that useful, but I took the format and ran with it.

I wanted to talk to Michael Flynn, but he was so popular (well duh, it's Michael Flynn!). In my many attempts to cleverly bump into him, I found another filmmaker. I decided, why not, gotta start somewhere! So I followed him into a little sitting area. I jumped in and introduced myself. "I'm sorry, but I noticed your tag said filmmaker. I was wondering if I could ask you some questions."

This filmmaker was extremely polite. I learned that he was one of the few who just jumped straight to producer. He went from executive producer to producer. (He bought his ticket in, I guess. haha) Anyway, we talked. He gave me some tips (the same tips Bob and Dennis gave me) and I smiled and acted like he was being such a huge help. Then Russ Whitelock interrupted us. The filmmaker introduced me to him and then introduced himself to me as Bryce Fillmore. He gave me his email address and told me to email him within the next couple of months and he would see if any positions were available on one of his sets. I nearly died. I took his email address (in a not so smooth way) and thanked him.

Step one: Introducing myself. COMPLETED! I did it. And all day yesterday I was amazed that I had done it, and so gracefully too. I knew I needed to make an impression on him. The only way to do that would be to run into him again. So I did. I decided to go to his movie that night.

I was in a bad mood and sick yesterday, but I still went. I bought tickets and headed to my seat. As I was headed there, I passed Bryce in the hall talking to some friends of his. He smiled and waved at me. I'd made an impression the first time. SWEET!! I sat in the theater and talked with Nathan for a while before the film started. I decided I should to wash my glasses to make sure I'd see the film as cleanly as I could.

I went to the bathroom to wash them off. On my way back to the theater I saw a man struggling at the drinking fountain. I stopped to help him. After, I got a drink and turned to go to my seat. Bryce was standing there. I smiled politely and said hello. He said, "Morgan, It's so nice to see you here."

BAM! That's right, he remembered MY name. MY NAME!! I told I wouldn't miss it after he pitched it so well the day before. I returned to my seat and watched the film (which was really good). After the film I asked some questions, just so he would know I paid attention and didn't leave early. He smiled at me when I asked. I didn't get to see him after the film, but I still did good.

I left feeling really proud of myself. I've been working really hard, but in reality it's all Heavenly Father's doing. I'm going to keep working and opening as many doors as I can, then I'm going to leave it up to Him to push me through the right one. Last night felt like a major accomplishment and I know that there will only be one hundred more, at least, before I get to where I'm going.

"I didn't say it would be easy. I only said it would be worth it." --the quote on my mirror from beehives many years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment