Thursday, February 10, 2011

No kiddin'

I was just sitting here, at my desk (dying of pure, unadulterated boredom) when a thought occurred to me. When people tell you "I do what I want, when I want, how I want" you can say "so do I."  In reality, everyone does what they want, how they want, when they want.

For example, right now, I'm at work. I'm not enjoying it here, but I still choose to be here. "I do what I want": go to work. "how I want": begrudgingly. "When I want": Right now until five. Another example? Alright. Right now you are choosing to read this post ("what you want") at this moment ("when you want") curiously ("how you want").

That's just a fancy way of saying "I exercise my agency." People use it all the time, however, when talking about making choices that are "different" than other people. "Oh? You don't drink because you're Mormon? Well I do what I want, when I want, how I want." or "Oh, your wife doesn't want you to go out so much? Well I tell my wife that I do what I want, when I want, how I want."

The cold, hard truth is, you do it too. You're constantly making decisions. You choose to follow rules all the time because you're scared of the consequences. You choose to speed on the freeway when heading home because you're tired. You choose to be responsible. You choose to party. You choose.

Not only do you choose to do things, but you choose what attitude you take into it. You choose the tactic to which you'll carry out your choice. No one is forced to do anything, ever. You choose to do what someone demands. You don't have to. I don't have to sit here at work if I don't want. You don't have to read the scriptures, or pray. You don't have to do anything.

You're entire life has been lived by doing things that you want, when you want, how you want.

I can't believe it took me that long to figure it out...

1 comment:

  1. I did not think about it that way either! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete