Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Some Items of Business

Hi there! I'm still alive. It's been a few days since I've been on here. I've been busy. I kept meaning to post, but I just got so wrapped up in stuff. Sorry. I'm here though, don't worry. =)

Since I've been gone for sooooo long (six days isn't that long, but it feels longer), there are a few items I should cover. First off, I got a job. I now work for Vivint. tech support. I've only been training for three days, but it feels like so much longer. I'll be working here full time so I can save money for life after summertime. Next summer I'm going to really push for L.A. with Disney, so I'll need some money for that, just so I'm prepared. The job has been awesome so far. It's the first time that I can actually use my Spanish practically. I have never used it in a real situation, but now I get to daily! Yipee! (That was half sarcastic and half sincere.) Due to such a large change in my life, I will be posting a lot about co-workers. I'll try to not use their names, but ya know...somethings just can't be changed.

Secondly, there are a few things I don't understand. The first thing is how people can be so immature. I don't understand how someone can honestly be too immature to even interact as an adult. We're both nineteen, almost twenty. Right? We all graduated over a year ago. We all go to school as ADULTS. I really don't understand where the problem stems from? Is it because you think life was better in high school? Do you think that if you avoid the problem that the problem doesn't exist? Is it easier to deny than to accept responsibility? or do you just think that you're too good for the world? It doesn't offend me when you stick your nose in the air, but it really pisses me off when you act like a brat to me and then tell everyone that I make you a victim. So please, at least grow enough of a backbone to understand that me not talking to you is your own fault.

The second thing of the second item of business is sort of related to the first. BYU. Let's ponder BYU for a moment. What comes to your mind when you think of BYU? If you go to BYU, you are going to find this next paragraph sort of insulting, so feel free to skip ahead, or just leave now. When I think of BYU, I think of marriage. Not in a good way, either. I picture young girls signing their life away to some guy who happened to sweep them off their feet. I don't picture people being truly happy in those marriages. I'm sure that some of the people are happily married, and that they will be for a long time, but I think a lot of people jump on that bandwagon WAY too early. Another thing I think of when I think of BYU is amish people. I know Mormons are not amish (if they are, then I have no clue what religion I am a part of, because I am NOT amish), I just feel like BYU students are amish! It's that honor code. I don't know the details of the honor code, but I just feel like it's patronizing. I don't understand why they need a rule that says men cannot have facial hair. What do they think will happen? I don't think some dude is going to hide a gun in his mustache and whip it out in class and kill people. I feel like they do it so people don't confuse some bearded stranger for Jesus. I just really feel like BYU doesn't trust it's students, so they are forced to follow rules like kindergarteners. Actually, I think my six year-old nephew has less rules at school... and he does just fine!

I brought that up because, in church, during third hour, the lady teaching kept emphasizing the importance of going to BYU. No matter what anyone else said, she stood firm on her belief that going to BYU Idaho was a better school than the U. It was extremely annoying. You understand why.

Thirdly...wait... I forgot what the third item was... snap. Oh yea! Thirdly, when people say "thank you" it's nice. It's awesome that they notice you doing something, but sometimes it gets annoying. Saying thank you when I hold the elevator, that's cool. Saying thank you when I pick up the book you dropped, that's great. Saying thank you after I made dinner, awesome! Saying thank you for doing something that I do all the time, not quite so cool. Let me explain. Makenzie's mom (my sister), Jentry is not currently in the picture, and that's okay. It's extremely sad, but it's life and life goes on. Makenzie does have a lot of times in her life when she needs a parent to sign forms or go to meetings to gather information. Normally, Grandma would do that, but Grandma has been extremely sick lately. I do it. I don't mind doing it. I love being there for her. Yes, I do have to give up a lot of activities with my friends, but that's okay. Parents have to do that sometimes. Tonight, I got off work at 7 and there was an important parents' meeting at 7 for girls' camp. Last week I was invited to go to a film industry speaker thing. It sounded super cool and I was going to go, but Makenzie needed me more. It was not a problem at all. Giving up my time for Makenzie is never ever a problem. She needs attention. I was once in her shoes, and I know how frustrating it can be to know everyone's mom is going to be there, and no one will be there for you. I know how badly it hurts to stand there alone and know that no one is there for you specifically. Grandma was there for me when I needed her. I will be there for Makenzie. It is never a hassle. It is never a great sacrifice. Thank you for noticing that I care about my niece, but really, to thank me as if I wouldn't come unless someone held a gun to my head? I don't need it. I just need you to remember that I'm there as a parent, and to treat me as such. I am a lot younger than you considering I'm seven years older than the child I'm representing, but that doesn't mean you need to treat me as a child. Thank you for appreciating my support of my niece, but maybe it would be a lot less awkward if you talked to me like you would any other mother at these things. I can do just as much as you can, and there is no parenting technique that you know of that I cannot do. So you don't need to act like I'm Christ healing your deafness.

I think that's it for today. There are other things I want to talk about, but they can't be mashed into single paragraphs. So when I get time later, I'll post some more. Right now it's SNUGGLE TIME! ;)

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear that your grandma is sick. Hope she recovers quickly!

    Okay, don't get me started on YBU. Everything you said about it is completely true. I am the stereotype. I went there for the express purpose of getting married, and nobody in my life tried to tell me that was a bad idea. Too bad YOU weren't in my life! Yes, YBU admin distrusts the students. But what is not necessarily so obvious to outsiders is that admin actively disrespects the students as bright and worthwhile individuals.

    I have to say, comparing the Amish to YBU students is totally insulting to the Amish. At least the Amish get Rumspringa. ;)

    ReplyDelete