Sunday, May 1, 2011

There's No Place Like Home

The Wizard of Oz was released in August 1939. America learned some valuable lessons from the lion, the scarecrow, the tin-man, and, of course, Dorothy. The one thing people remember most about the movie is the end, when Dorothy finds out how to get home. She clicks her heals together three times and repeats "There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place like home."

We all know what home feels like. When we watched Dorothy appear back at her home in Kansas, I bet we all felt that warm home feeling, remembering our own homes. (Or we just got up and left because the film went back to black and white at that point.)

Think about how it feels to be home. Imagine coming home after being gone for hours, days or even months. Imagine the comforting feeling you get when you feel safe while watching the news (if you feel safe watching the news...).

When I come home after any amount of time away, I feel warm and relaxed. When I get the mail (on the rare occasions that someone lets me get the mail), I get excited. I love being home. Home is by far my favorite. I hate going to school because it means I can't be at home... I know, I'm a loser, get over it.


I rarely ever venture too far from home, and if I do, I always come back. But home is not really limited to my house. It was when I was little, but it isn't anymore. I feel like I'm home whenever I'm with Nathan. I feel at home when I'm holding my camera.

Yesterday, I felt at home when I got to the LDS motion picture studios. Not immediately, but I did. Kent was showing us around, and he explained that the studios in Provo were modeled after the Disney Studios in L.A. in the 50's. That's when I felt very much like I was home. I know that sounds cheesy, but it's true!

We walked through the sound stages, and I got super excited. I'm surprised I was able to stand still and listen for as long as I did.

We visited the grip and electric house. I felt comfortable (most because I knew what almost everything in there was! Go cinematography class!).

We got to see the wardrobe house, which was huge. We got to see the shops where they build the sets, it was dusty. We drove through the back lots, and that was neat. The post production offices were pretty cool: offices with computers in them!

As predictable as each area was (the grip house had stands, the make up room had make up, etc.), I felt like I was home. I felt like I really needed to get to Disney...ASAP. Then I decided I would call them...tomorrow.

Normally, I can talk myself out of doing things like that. I can be like "You don't need to call, you're not ready." And, because I know myself so well, I agree with myself. Then I don't call. This happens a lot when I've had a couple of days to think it out. Actually, I only need an hour to think it out.

Yesterday, around noon, I decided I would call Disney on Monday. Last night, around midnight, I hadn't talked myself out of it...in fact, myself was being quite stubborn and I only convinced myself more that I need to call them. That's really abnormal for me and myself. I figured it would all pass by the morning, but guess what! It's morning and, instead of backing out, I'm only becoming more excited!

Being so excited is making me nervous, though. I don't want to set myself up for failure. This isn't me just calling up the neighbor to ask if they can watch my dog while I'm away. This is the big leagues. This is my career, and if I call them and it goes well...this could be it! It's extremely scary, and yet...extremely exciting! This feels like such a pivotal moment in my life...and I have no idea how to go about doing it.

My plan is as follows:

Wake up,
eat,
get dressed,
call Disney,
then the rest is sorta foggy. If it goes well, then I will probably be prancing around the city for the next two weeks...if it goes really badly then I'll be moping around getting my books for summer semester classes...

I'm so nervous, and excited all at once. I feel like I need to be there with Disney. I haven't been able to get a stinkin job, so that must mean I get this one with Disney, right? (Hey, it's a thought.) Honestly, though, I really feel like Disney is the way to go. I don't know why, but I feel like I'm making a trip home when I think about working for Disney. I feel like any second now, my house will peak around the corner and I'll know for sure that I made it safely. I feel like this is the right direction and that I have what it takes to make it.

Disney is not my ultimate goal, but if I can work for Disney, I'll gladly do it! It's not like I'm settling for anything by working for them. In fact, it's the opposite. It would be a huge step for someone like me to work there. (By "someone like me" I mean a 19 year old Mormon girl.) I feel like working for Disney would be the single greatest thing that has happened to me since I was born.

So wish me luck. Pray that I don't crash and burn. I'll bring a parachute for the fall, just in case, but I  really need everyone's support. I'm going to try to head "home." and I hope it works out!

"There's no place like home. There's no place like home. There's no place..."

No comments:

Post a Comment