Saturday, May 5, 2012

Saturday Post Office

It's Saturday. At the Post Office. Needless to say, NO ONE IS HERE. It's really dead.

I brought my avid textbook with me, in hopes of getting a head start for my summer class. Wrong. So far I've read one chapter, gotten bored and set it down. It's not that it's a boring book, it's that it's an instruction manual, and Professor Bob said not to start following the steps until class time. So... I'm reading directions to something I can't do yet. It gets boring.

So instead of reading, I checked facebook. That lasted five seconds. I realized that there are five interesting posts on my newsfeed. After reading those five posts, I got bored. =/

So I went to pinterest. It was cool for a while. But like facebook, there are very few interesting things. I'm following people who all have the same taste, so it's the same few pins repeated many many times. I went through the humor section of pinterest. It's not that humorous. At all. The pins are either the same dirty joke retold in different pictures fifty times, or a meme repeated fifty times with the same pictures, just formatted different. Not funny.

As I got to the bottom of the page on pinterest, I started to think about the song Satellite, by Rise Against.

Off topic tangent: When I met Nathan, I liked country music. If you know me now, you know that that is not the case, at all. I can barely stand pop music. Funny how things change. 

Anyway, the lyrics to Satellite start like this:

You can't feel the heat until you hold your hand over the flame. 
You have to cross the line just to remember where it lays.
You won't know your worth, son, until you take a hit
And you won't find the beat until you lose yourself in it. 

The second line always gets me thinking. I always wonder which lines I have had to cross to remember where it lays. I know for sure there are some lines I don't really want to ever cross. 

random: there is a photo student wandering the halls right now taking photos of the weirdest things. You can always spot a beginning photo student: they just point and shoot. 

But that means if I never want to cross certain lines, I need to know where those lines lay. That requires a lot of thought. I can't just be like "Oh, well this is the line. End of story." because there are always exceptions to the rules. Always. Not all people who do drugs are insane nuts who don't know what it means to shower. Some are just kids who got lost somewhere and went looking for acceptance. Some are people looking for solace from the past. There will be times when the line needs to be crossed.

My line is different from your line. My line could be ten feet further than yours, or an inch closer, or right on top of yours. We all have our reasons for where we place our lines. I think there is more than one way of crossing the line. I think being comfortable with where others place their lines is a way of crossing a line. I don't drink, and I don't ever plan on it, but other people do drink, and that's fine. They placed their line in a different spot than I placed mine. It doesn't make either of us wrong or right.

Remember in math when you graphed equations and the graph either had a dotted/dashed line or a solid line? 

I think life's lines are like that. Sometimes there are really hard lines that you don't cross, no matter what. For example, I will never ever pet a wild lion. Ever. Hard line. No. Sometimes we have lines that aren't so hard, ones that get crossed now and again. I'm lactose intolerant, so a I have a line on lactose products. It's an incredibly soft line. (I'm typing this while eating a milkyway...) Sometimes, crossing that line is okay. Sometimes it isn't. I'm getting a lot better at being able to tell when it's cool and when it isn't.

(By the time I think all this through, I've missed the entire song.)



The post office is still dead. I have an hour and a half left. I am so ready to just go out.

After work, in honor of cinco de mayo, Nathan and I are going to Joe Bandido's. (Their Yelp Page) (I wouldn't trust Utah Yelpers... It turns out everyone here who yelps is ridiculous and demands perfection for gratis.) I'm really excited, mostly because this is a fiestaurant. Totally different than a normal restaurant.

A few months ago, or maybe longer, Nathan and I went to this restaurant with Bryan's family. Normally I don't do mexican, but I have fallen in love with this stuff. I've been one other time, with my mom, this week. Haha. I'm just excited to go back. =) and with my amazing boyfriend.

Afterward, we'll relax a bit, then we're planning to go up the canyon and have a little fire, assuming it doesn't rain. If it does rain, it needs to rain now, so I can go to the canyon.

Anyway, this blog has dragged on and on and on, about nothing. Which is how work feels right now. It just keeps going on and on and on, with nothing to do.

Well, I'm off to play rollercoaster tycoon, just 'cause I can! =)

Here is the minions doing the Banana song. I thought this was really awesome when I saw it a few weeks ago in theaters before the stooges movie. I still think it's awesome. so Enjoy!:


No comments:

Post a Comment