Monday, October 1, 2012

October 1, 2012

I'm doing my homework. Sort of. It's really hard for me to focus on actually doing it. I'm tired for one, and for another, a lot of really huge changes have occurred lately.

The changes aren't something I want to talk about on my blog. If I want to tell you, I will...

I just wanted to talk about the other day. I was with Robyn. She was telling me about how she doesn't get along with the building manager where she lives. (What I replied was not intended to be mean at all, even if it sounded incredibly hurtful.) I replied "Well you're a hard person to get along with."

Yea, that sounds really awful. I wasn't meaning "You suck, no one likes you." What I really meant was "you're personality is really out there and loud, and a lot of people don't know how to work with that."

I have this friend, Brian. He and I were talking once and he mentioned how he always tries to think four steps ahead of the conversation to make it go the way he wants. That sounds really manipulative, but I do it too. When I'm texting someone, I think of all the possible ways I can make the conversation go. I try not to do that, but I do it anyway. I'm sure he and I aren't the only ones that do that. It's easy to write out a text, realize the answer you could get, then erase it and try it differently. That's what texting offers us. Control. Or at least it feels like control. I haven't worked that out yet.

It seems like everyone has grown used to the idea of being "in control" when on the phone. I know I have. It's comfortable to sit in the bathroom, write out a text that has been carefully thought out, and hit send, knowing full well how the conversation is going to go. It's easy to want to avoid real human contact just because it's easier to do that than to try and communicate with so many unknowns.

Robyn has a really loud personality, and I love it. She's unpredictable, in a good way, in a way that is completely normal. She's funny and enjoyable to be around, but not a lot of people can get past the unpredictability. People want things that resemble their digital world. They want to control each conversation. They want to sit on the toilet and be confident. It's scary as heck dealing with real people in real life after growing up in a digital world.

That's what I was trying to explain to Robyn (after I said that incredibly insensitive thing about her being hard to get along with). It isn't her fault, at all. It's our fault. It will always be our fault if we can't get along with someone. Yes, I know that there are a lot of people that are really off the walls, and uncomfortable to be around. There are people who just have the exact opposite personality of us and it gets really hard to work things out. But there is always a way. always. People want to be around people who are easy to control, easy to predict, so that they can feel safe. Robyn is for sure not any of those. And that is what makes her awesome. It's people like her, the people you can't control, that bring hope to the world.

We're all little drones with our little glowing boxes in our hands. It sucks a lot, especially for people like Robyn who are impossible to predict. She handles her awesomeness really well though, and I love it!

That is all.

Now I'll actually go read my homework stuff.

Please, go here: http://imgur.com/gallery/3Pjsf

It's hilarious. 

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say that I love you... that is all!

    ReplyDelete